Long Distance Moving as Low as 990$
Save up to 65%! Get local movers lowest rates!
If you are doing a self move then you will need to do the tedious process of packing your belongings. This includes both the small items and the big ones.
First of all
In order to comfortably and effectively pack big items, you need a large enough area to be able to move around the items and flip it over as needed. If you have a large, vacant floor area, that’s great for packing. For some medium-sized items, a large table will be great in order to manipulate them easily.
Some tips on packing big items:
- The best and most practical tip is for you to think twice about bringing the item with you. Most people prefer leaving their gas stoves and dishwashers instead of bringing it along with them. Sometimes it’s cheaper for you to buy a new item rather than lug along and ship the old one to your new home.
- Don’t do it alone. As much as possible, have someone to assist you so that you can have a spotter and extra hands.
- Make sure that there are no pets or kids in the area while you’re packing.
- Pack first those items which you don’t use on a daily basis. E.g. decorative items, appliances.
- Make sure to protect items that are prone to scratching. You can wrap them in linen or cushion. Using peanuts and old newspaper can also be helpful.
- Cover any sharp edges which can easily get damaged, or cause damage to others.
- Bulky items that are prone to breakage should be packed in strong cardboard boxes.
- Glasses and mirrors should be packed separately.
- When packing items that can be dismantled, make sure to note how you took it apart so that it’s easier to put it back together. For complicated items, consider taking step-by-step pictures so that you can have a visual guide on how it fits back together.
- Appliances should be dried and cleaned first before packing. This is especially true for refrigerators which have to be emptied, defrosted and cleaned first.
- Label each package so you know exactly what’s inside a package.
- Make it a point to leave all packed items in one room so it’s easier to transport during loading.
As a last note
Should you find packing too much of a burden, or if you realize that you’ll only risk damage to your items, then maybe you should consider hiring professional packers instead. Inquire with Alpha Van Lines for assistance and we’ll find the best packers for you.